"Not bad"
Dr. Jai Maharaj
2015-08-16 19:55:23 UTC
In the German newsgroup there was a question about an
understatement like "nicht schlecht" ("not bad"). His wife
thought it was negative. Two of the later messages are here in my
"Not bad!", high praise.
Then that is British English. Even an American English
"Excellent!" is in no way to be understood as praise.
1. Isn't "not bad" universally understood as positive unless the
context makes the opposite clear?
2. Is "Excellent" basically negative in American English? I find
that hard to believe - but all words and expressions can of
course be used ironically.
It depends on the context, on the situation.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj
Dr. Jai Maharaj
2015-08-17 04:50:30 UTC
Post by Dr. Jai Maharaj
It depends on the context, on the situation.
Obviously you didn't read my message.
I read your post. The answers to your two questions are
"yes" and "no", in the order you asked them.
Your only purpose with your
messages seems to be massive crossposting and advertising
yourself.
If you are trying to be a Net Nazi, let me inform you
that nazism died a long time ago.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj