exorcism in india
Dr. Jai Maharaj
2004-05-08 09:19:41 UTC
Dear All,
I am writing and presenting a four-part documentary series on exorcism for
the BBC World Service. The first programme is an introduction, with a bias
towards the UK. The next programme is from a church in Ghana. But I need
'stories' about exorcism in India that I can follow up. I need to be able to
visit people with my tape recorder, so I'm after helpful contacts. Many,
many thanks.
Yours,
A related post:

[ From: Dr. Jai Maharaj
[ Subject: CHRISTIANS KILL GIRL BY EXORCISM
[ Date: 20 Jan 2004

Exorcism Suspected After Girl Found Dead

By Harry R. Weber
Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Monday, January 19, 2004

Atlanta (AP)- A 6-year-old girl was
found dead in a motel room with a
broken back Monday after what police
said may have been an exorcism. Two
adults were arrested after they and
two children were spotted on the
street naked in the freezing cold.

The adults, who had been staying in
the motel room, were charged with
cruelty to children, public indecency
and obstruction of police and were
taken to a psychiatric ward.

Police said the girl had been
brutalized and suffered a broken back
and other broken bones. An autopsy
was planned.

Based on what the adults told
authorities, investigators believe
''they were involved possibly in a
ritual of some sort,'' police
spokesman John Quigley said. ''It may
have had something to do with
undemonizing the child in some
manner.''

Police learned of the death around
12:30 a.m. when the unidentified man
and woman were seen walking naked
down a city street with two children,
ages 2 and 7, Quigley said.

The 7-year-old provided investigators
with information that led them to the
motel, where they found the girl's
body.

The two adults had apparently been
living there for some time, possibly
through assistance from a church,
Quigley said.

More at:
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/ap/ap_story.html/National/AP.V1732.AP-Child-Death.html

"A major feature of Jesus' ministry
is portrayed as curing people of
demonic possession through exorcism."
- http://www.religioustolerance.org/dem_bibl.htm

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Panchaang for 28 Paush 5104, Monday, January 19, 2004:

Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksha Ritau Makara
Mase Krshn Pakshe Indu Vasara Yuktayam
Mool Nakshatr Dhruv-Vyaghat Yog
Gar-Vishti Karan Trayodashi-Chaturdashi Yam Tithau

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the
educational purposes of research and open discussion. The contents of
this post may not have been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
are not necessarily those of the poster.
m***@toad-net.com
2004-05-08 14:15:19 UTC
"> 'stories' about exorcism in India that I can follow up. I need to be
able to"

Can you read, he asked for examples in india, why post that n. america
example?
Dr. Jai Maharaj

m***@toad-net.com
2004-05-08 16:48:04 UTC
Ah, me puppet me boy, you want to dance? Just hold a bit, ah, now let me
pull your string and you can dance dance dance and we all can see; tug,
tug , tug.

He was asking for examples in india, not the n. america example you
posted, don't you read? If the dancing tires, just let us know, we want
you around fresh for another day, see ya soon.
Richard Johnson
2004-05-10 09:09:25 UTC
Seems like I've got caught in the crossfire. Is no-one out there able to
suggest some interesting angle on exorcism in India? I thought I would be in
the right place.......

Best wishes,

Richard
M. Ranjit Mathews
2004-05-10 17:24:22 UTC
Post by Richard Johnson
Seems like I've got caught in the crossfire. Is no-one out there able to
suggest some interesting angle on exorcism in India? I thought I would be in
the right place.......
Best wishes,
An interesting angle is a notion that Hindu gods are demons that
possess people. What would your audience say to an exorcist who
specializes in exorcising Jehovah from possessed Christians?

Back in the 1970's, I met a brilliant young priest, Fr. Rufus Pereira,
who had gotten involved in exorcism back in his native India. Then in
1978, he, among others, invited me to bring a team to preach in India,
where he showed me how many people were inhabited by demons in the
form of Hindu gods. (You will find an interview with Fr. Rufus in the
Appendix to my book Deliverance from Evil Spirits.)
http://www.christianhealingmin.org/healingnews2002.htm

In south India, similar to what can be observed in many other parts
of Asia, Africa and Latin America, [2] miracle healing and exorcism
have
a prominent place within the congregational practice of the
Pentecostal
movement.
http://static.highbeam.com/i/internationalreviewofmission/january012001/miraclehealingandexorcismthesouthindianpentecostal/

The doctor treating Mother Teresa reported that she was having trouble
sleeping, he said. "There was no medical reason for that," the
archbishop said. "It struck me that there could be some evil spirit
which was trying to disturb her." He said he had subsequently asked -
with the nun's consent - for a priest in one of the churches to
perform an exorcism. Along with the priest, Mother Teresa participated
in a "prayer of protection" and "slept peacefully after that," he
said.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2001/09/05/theresa.htm

One of the most interesting and popular centers of tantrik rites is at
Balaji, near Bharatpur off the Jaipur-Agra highway. Exorcism is a way
of life at Balaji, and people from far and near, who have been
"possessed by spirits" flock to Balaji in large numbers.
http://hinduism.about.com/library/weekly/extra/bl-tantratemples1.htm

On every new moon night, a festival is held here. One of us, sitting
at the base of the pillar, becomes possessed by the spirit of the
pillar. When he is possessed, he can slip the ring of this chain over
his wrist, as far as his elbow. Otherwise, it doesn't even go over a
man's wrist. And with this chain, he then dusts evil spirits out of
the others." When the person has been rid of the evil spirit, the
cleansed one takes one of the bystanders by the hand, leads him to the
tamarind tree and does not let go till he has driven a nail with a
piece of lime, a piece of coconut or a holy red thread into the tree.
The evil spirit is thus nailed to the tree," said the man.
http://www.indiaprofile.com/heritage/udayagiribesnagar.htm

Exorcism planned for school toilet 'ghost'
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_786777.html
It is reported three students suffered epileptic fits after visiting
the toilet. One of the teachers obtained a quick transfer after being
"gripped by fear". The villagers, who believe the ghost is still
haunting the school, say they are determined to hold a yagya (a fire
purification ceremony) to exorcise the ''ghost'' and to bring girls
back to school.
http://www.parascope.com/articles/slips/fs24_3.htm

Exorcism planned for school toilet 'ghost'
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_786777.html
It is reported three students suffered epileptic fits after visiting
the toilet. One of the teachers obtained a quick transfer after being
"gripped by fear". The villagers, who believe the ghost is still
haunting the school, say they are determined to hold a yagya (a fire
purification ceremony) to exorcise the ''ghost'' and to bring girls
back to school.

Eyes of stone 1990
A film about rural women in Bhilwara, Rajasthan and their rituals of
possession and exorcism: expressions of faith, rebellion and healing
that thrive within the confines of a stringent patriarchal order.
MEDIA 2-6291
http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/rr_gateway/research_guides/media_collections/india.shtml